Call us: 843-795-7574

National Poison Prevention week is here and it’s a great time to be aware of some potentially poisonous substances to your pet. More than 90% of pet poisonings occur in our own homes from very common foods, medications, plants, and indoor/outdoor products. Helping pets, and their owners, with poison knowledge and safety is just one way we can help. Check out this guide from Oceanside Veterinary Clinic in preventing your pets from poison.  

Some Foods Can Be Harmful

Although we recommend holding off from feeding your pets any table scraps, be sure to steer clear from these harmful food items:

  1. Avocado- Primarily harmful in causing cardiovascular damage to rabbits, birds, horses, donkeys, goats and sheep.  
  2. Chocolate- Milk, dark, and baker’s chocolate can be dangerous.
  3. Raisins and Grapes- May cause kidney damage.
  4. Raw/Undercooked Meat, Bones, and Eggs- Can contain bacteria such as E. coli and Salmonella.
  5. Xylitol- This artificial sweetener can cause possible liver failure in dogs and a fast drop in blood sugar.
  6. Yeast Dough- Can rise and cause gas to to be painful, potentially causing a twist, in your pets digestive tract.

Medications to Keep Out of Reach

Be sure to keep the following drugs tightly sealed and out of reach:

  1. ADHD/ADD medication- Can cause seizures, cardiac problems, or tremors.
  2. Antidepressant medication- Cats are strangely drawn to this mediation, which can have very damaging neurological and cardiac effects.
  3. NSAIDs- Aleve, Advil, Motrin, Tylenol, Cold/Allergy/Flu, or any medications containing Ibuprofen can be more harmful to cats. Dogs tend to have more difficulty with digestion. Continued exposure, to either pet, can lead to kidney failure or ulcers.

Household Plants

Some plants that are common to have around the house during Springtime can cause your four-legged family members to be sick. Keep these plants out of reach, to prevent digestion: 

  1. Azaleas- Eating a few bites can result in vomiting, drooling, and diarrhea.
  2. Daffodils- Ingestion of the flower or bulb can result in vomiting, abdominal pain, and respiratory depression.
  3. Lilies- Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show lilies- Highly dangerous for cats and can cause severe kidney failure.
  4. Sago Palm- These are very popular in the Charleston area and can cause vomiting, bloody stools, liver failure, and damage to the stomach lining.
  5. Tulips and Hyacinths- The toxins of these plants are located in the bulb. CAn cause profuse drooling, diarrhea, and vomiting.

Household Supplies

If used improperly many of these items can be poisonous to our furry family members. Most of these are everyday necessities, but to be on the safe side, always read your labels.

  1. Rodent Poison- can cause internal bleeding and swelling of the brain in dogs.
  2. Household Insecticides- Most are fairly safe, but it’s best to keep your pets away until fully dry.
  3. Kitchen Supplies- Ammonia, bug sprays and traps, cleansers/disinfectants (including floor, carpet, oven, window and other cleaners), drain openers, polish (for furniture, metals or glass), and soaps/detergents can cause damage.
  4. Garage/Shed Supplies- Antifreeze, turpentine, cleaning fluids (including hand cleaner, car polish), fertilizer/weed killer, gasoline/kerosene, lighter fluid, lime/lye, mothballs, pesticides/insecticides, and paint/paint remover can each be harmful.

If your pet ingests any harmful foods, medications, plants, lawn care products, or cleaning supplies please contact Oceanside Veterinary Clinic at (843) 795-7574 or the Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661. Having the label in hand, can possibly save your pet’s life and valuable time. For a more extensive, and full season list, please visit petpoisonhotline.com or download the ASPCA Poison Control Center Mobile App by clicking here.

 

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Share This

Share this post with your friends!