Spring Into Flea and Tick Protection
Spring Into Flea and Tick Protection
February 15, 2019
Pet-Friendly Spring Cleaning
Pet-Friendly Spring Cleaning
March 15, 2019
Show all
Pet Poison Prevention Guide

In honor of National Pet Poison Prevention Week, it is important to know the signs of animal poisoning as well as the causes. Here are four common plants and food items that pet owners should avoid to prevent pet poison. We’ll cover some health concerns and vet trip tips to understand the specific harms and what to do if things take a turn for the worse.

Chocolate

While chocolate is one of the poisons that many people recognize, many don’t understand the health implications or what to do. Dark chocolate is the most harmful, but any chocolate can bring about tremors, seizures, and an irregular heartbeat in your pet. Be sure to avoid any form of chocolate for your pet at all costs. Many vets recommend bringing the wrapper if your dog does get into some chocolate.

Lilies

Cats love to investigate and explore, so it is important to know what they can and cannot have within reach. Lilies are highly toxic to cats and even the slightest nib of a petal or leaf can be problematic for them. Ingesting lilies can result in kidney failure or death in many cases. Many cat owners avoid lilies altogether to ensure their cat’s safety.

Onions/Garlic

Onions and garlic add flavor to just about any dish imaginable. To our cats and dogs, however, these delicious additions could result in irreversible damage. Onions and garlic contain a toxin to animals that results in damaged blood cells, so avoid feeding your animals anything containing garlic or onion.

Southern Sago Palm

The Sago Palm tree is a southern favorite here in the United States, but many people are unaware of the danger they pose to our feline friends. The Sago Palm is highly toxic to cats and a chemical within it attacks the liver. If left untreated it could result in liver failure and death. Make sure your cat does not have access to this botanical to ensure their safety here in the south.

Key Warning Signs

Some key warning signs of pet poison are vomiting/diarrhea, loss of appetite, drinking less/more water than usual, and general lethargy. The above are just a few of the everyday items that can be toxic to your pet. Be on the lookout for warning signs of pet poison and contact your local vet immediately if you have reason to believe they got into something harmful.

Comments are closed.